The online reading quizzes are intended to provide you with an incentive to complete the reading assignments in a timely manner, to ensure that you have been attentive not only to the broad strokes of the author's arguments but the details, as well. There are eleven (11) weeks in this course with at least two days of reading, and thus eleven (11) online quizzes (available through Blackboard), each with 6 questions drawn in (roughly) equal measure all available reading assignments for the week.
The weeks with reading quizzes are as follows...
- August 24-28 (Week 1)
- August 31-September 4 (Week 2)
- September 7-11 (Week 3)
- September 14-18 (Week 4)
- September 21-25 (Week 5)
- October 5-9 (Week 7)
- October 12-16 (Week 8)
- October 19-23 (Week 9)
- November 2-6 (Week 11)
- November 9-13 (Week 12)
- November 30-December 4 (Week 15)
The quizzes will become available on Blackboard at noon on Mondays, and will close at 12:25 PM (a half-hour before class meets) on Fridays. Each quiz may be taken only once, and they may not be made up or taken late.
The Blackboard website for OU students may be found here (Blackboard). Please navigate to "Themes in Global Politics," and then select "Reading Quizzes" from the left-hand menu.
You must complete 8 of the 11 reading quizzes over the course of the semester. Your overall grade will be based on the total number of correct answers you submit in those 8 quizzes , out of 48 possible points (if you complete all 8 required quizzes, I'll give you an automatic two-point bonus, for a total of 50 points possible). Your grade will be calculated on the first 8 quizzes you begin (which is how Blackboard records these things--it is not possible to "check" the questions before you officially begin the quiz). You must complete the quiz in a single sitting. This is a requirement of Blackboard's, and I cannot change it.
You cannot take extra quizzes beyond your required 8 for extra credit, and you may not substitute the score of a 9th, 10th, or 11th quiz for one on which you did poorly. Because you may miss 3 quizzes with no penalty, there will be no-make ups or alternate assignments, and no excuses related to technological gaffes or failures will be accepted. You are expected to have access to a working computer and a stable, reliable internet connection for this class. To repeat: the score you earn for the first 8 quizzes you begin is the score you will earn, with no exceptions.
- You must complete 8 of 11 reading quizzes on Blackboard.
- 6 questions per quiz, for a total of 96 possible points (automatic four point bonus for completing all 8 quizzes, 100 points total).
- Reading quizzes cover ALL assigned readings for the week, Monday through Friday
- Each quiz becomes available at noon on Monday, and closes at 12:25 PM on Friday.
- Quiz Schedule is posted above.
- Once you begin the quiz, you must complete it--there are no "do-overs."
- No make-ups or alternative assignments. You may miss three quizzes with no penalty, so choose those weeks wisely.
- No extra credit for extra quizzes. Your score on the first 8 you begin is your score.